WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Review: The Wells Of Hell

The Wells Of Hell The Wells Of Hell by Graham Masterton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of THE WELLS OF HELL by Graham Masterton

I read this novel immediately after reading the author's totally excellent FIRE SPIRIT, so I went from "burning" to "drowning." Both books are superb. Gory, yes; extreme, yes; but such wonderful character development and plotting. THE WELLS OF HELL particularly impressed me with its nods to H.P. Lovecraft, and the weaving in of Lovecraft's Cthulhu and the Elder Gods. Indeed, the author's explication of pre-history, of Atlantis, and the Elder Gods who once ruled Earth, actually makes logical sense--one may or may not choose to believe, but it is all presented in a way that makes the reader ponder, "Well, just maybe that could have happened." So the novel was at once realistic and horrifying. The protagonist, Mason Prentiss, is a gem of a character, as are several of the supporting (I can't say secondary, because they're important too) characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment