WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Review: The Hobbsburg Horror

The Hobbsburg Horror The Hobbsburg Horror by Thomas S. Flowers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: THE HOBBSBURG HORROR by Thomas S. Flowers

A reader approaches any writing of Thomas S. Flowers expecting to return deeply affected. I first became aware of this while reading his novels, and this is also true of his newly-released short story collection, THE HOBBSBURG HORROR. Mr. Flowers has a deep appreciation of both history, and of the human condition, along its rather vast continuum. His horror I categorize as "literate horror," as it rises above simple splatter for splatter' s sake. Each story subtly burrows into the reader's mind and roots there, refusing to be dislodged. I find myself trying to find comparisons, unsuccessfully, because Thomas S. Flowers maintains a class all his own.


View all my reviews

1 comment: