WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, December 11, 2017

Review: Dolly

Dolly Dolly by Jubilee Savage
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: DOLLY by Jubilee Savage

This is the first in a trilogy entitled DOLLY. I read a recommendation of the trilogy in another author's newsletter, and decided to try it. Not only is this book full of character evolution {perhaps devolution}, but this reviewer's opinion evolved too: I started out planning to give it a 4, but by the time I had finished, I decided on 5. Yes, the first-person narrative and the characters' seeming incapacity to use verbal contractions (or prose contractions) is wearying; but that was overcome for me by the leaps our narrator takes in her evolution {devolution} and by her continued wry outlook and intermittent self-awareness. Also, the horror element was handled rather well, and I look forward to reading the two remaining installments. Caution: the gore factor gets really extreme, both from supernatural causation and from human acts. Sensitive spirits may find scenes offensive and disturbing, so be warned.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment